Thursday, February 25, 2010

Daytime Drinking: Soju & a Movie

 
 Above: A very strong drink
Below: Daytime Drinking movie poster


Back in December, a rep from Eleven Arts contacted me to see if I wanted to review the South Korean independent film Daytime Drinking, to coincide with its New Orleans premier. I was a bit bemused, as film reviewing is something I've done in my other life as a journalist, but not as a blogger.  I've only ever blogged about food and drink. But, given that the film was clearly about something near and dear to my heart - booze - I thought it would be fun. 

Unfortunately, at the time I was knee- deep in my 12 Days of Medieval Feasting series, and just couldn't see interrupting the flow with a review. Was there some other event to which I could peg a write-up?  Yes, I was told - the DVD release in late January. Done! I said.

Obviously that was a month ago and here it is, late February, and I'm only now getting around to this post. Bad blogger, bad! But I do have an excuse (sort of).  Because this isn't a film site, I thought rather than doing a straight review it would make more sense to include a bit about soju, the drink that features so prominently in the movie. Well, I had a bottle of the stuff on order at a liquor store, and  after waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting,  they finally got around to letting me know that they couldn't get it for me after all, though I think they just forgot to order it. Frustrated and annoyed, I went on the hunt and  found the above bottle of 8,000 Generations Shochu elsewhere that very day.


By now you're probably wondering (if you don't already know) what soju is exactly. But first, a bit about Daytime Drinking.  The film follows the misadventures of Hyuk-Jin, a hapless, heartbroken 20-something from Seoul. Quiet, quirky, and engaging,  in tone it reminds me quite a bit of early Jarmusch - think Stranger Than Paradise meets modern Korean independent film.   All of the (sometimes excruciatingly uncomfortable) situations that Hyuk-Jin  gets himself into are initiated by excessive, copious amounts of drinking. Anyone who has ever woken up with that sinking "Where was I?" and "What have I done?" feeling will definitely relate to this character. According to the press kit, the trouble just keeps coming because  Hyuk-Jin is so respectful of  Korean drinking etiquette and culture that he is utterly incapable of refusing a drink that is offered to him. Ever. (This is my new excuse as well.)  

The drink in question is soju, and with an alcohol content ranging from  20%-45%, it's no wonder one could get in trouble after just a few drinks. Soju is typically distilled from starches such as potatoes, wheat, or barley, and it's similar to vodka, only a bit sweeter.  By one estimate, over 3 billion bottles of this potent potable are consumed annually in Korea. It's quaffable, to be sure, but one of the draws is no doubt its low price - often a bottle can be had for as little as the equivalent of $1 - $3 US dollars.

I certainly wish that my bottle of 8,000 Generations artisinal shochu had cost $3 instead of $30!  Oh well. But as  it turns out,  I bought shochu, which is made made in Japan, not Korean-made soju. It's very similar, but not identical.  I found it to be quite light and crisp, particularly when served ice cold. Many people like to use it in a mixed drink in place of vodka, but I think I'll stick to vodka when I want a gimlet or a Bloody Mary, and shochu when I feel like having a cold drink other than beer or sake with spicy food.

My advice? Rent (or buy) a copy of Daytime Drinking and sit back with a nice, big, cold bottle of soju (or shochu). By the end of the film, I promise you that you'll really understand what poor Hyuk-Jin is going through. Whether or not you remember anything the next day is another story altogether.

Drinking at a bus stop ...
 

...and a truckstop


...and the beach
 





20 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out this movie, Daytime Drinking. I've heard of how potent soju can be, and have been afraid to try it, given that I can't take much of strong alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny review - not much a fan of vodka, so neither will be on my list - will stick to my bourbon ... is that a surprise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I l ove Vodka, will have to check out the film, amazingly enough this is so expensive wonder if its the import fee's. I would like to try that though intrigued by the sweetness....would like the very strong drink as you say in my Cranberry juice that should screw up my kidneys!!lol Cranberry suppose to be good for the kidneys I always screw them up with some vodka, its kind of a personal joke, oh well.. a little warped ...anyway...love this post really cute and informative about this drink and btw, glad you didnt interupt you 12 days.. although the booze is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you say quaffable... wonderful word and review... I don't know that I'd go for the booze... but the movie sounds charming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Drick - I would not expect anything less! You know I love my bourbon too.
    @pegasuslegend - that's so funny - I think cranberry juice and vodka must equalize, kidney wise! And the shochu wasn't overtly sweet - just a subtle hint, in the aftertaste really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it sounds like a funny and interesting movie..^^...the bottles are pretty too ~tq for dropping by Trix (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, when I understand the movie without the subtitles, I've had enough to drink right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your witty review although I can't do anything beyond wine! Soju sounds interesting and the movie too. Is is bleak though? I don't go for bleakness for entertainment- I figure we already deal with enough horrors in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of soju but now I am intrigued, wondering if they serve it in Korean restaurants? Will have to check out the movie. Sounds like you had some fun afternoon out there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, let me first say, you were a "journalist"?--how fascinating! Second, I loved your movie review and third, I took a movie/lit class once and a local movie reviewer taught the class--WHAT an ego on that guy! I have stories. . . And finally, I have been sober thirteen years so, uh, I sort of had to read over the other "review" part. Quite a potent pot of brew that stuff is?! A pretty bottle, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't drink but yet have lots of different types of wine in my house...strange huh! I use them a lot in my cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure I've ever had soju or shochu. I will forward this to my husband who is a wine/drink expert in the family. We would also love to check out this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bottom line is -- does it help with the laundry better than Mogen David Blackberry Wine? That's the burning question.

    Wonderful movie review. You should do more, even if you're a blogger, now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my mum's fave sites is mysoju.com where she gets her daily dose of Korean drama. When I saw your post title, I thot you were gonna reveal your addiction to K-drama! LOL. I never knew what "soju" was until now! Great post, Trix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. He he, I recently discovered Soju around xmas time. I love the stuff. I must watch that movie with some Soju along too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think my husband would mind a day of daytime drinking during this weekend. i'll have to see if I can get this on netflix! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every time I watch Koran dramas, they always have this drink. And I want to have one. Although I haven't seen this movie yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh that is an interesting request indeed i love quirky foreign movies though lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh nice. I will need to check out this movie. And I love soju. Just as long as I do not drink too much of it.

    ReplyDelete