Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fresh Pea, Yogurt & Tarragon Soup Garnished with Crispy Paprika Tofu Croutons and Garlic Tahini Sauce

Usually in my posts I try to regale you (I do not say "bore you") with some sort of thematically-appropriate story or other (note I do not say "tall tale") that ties in with the featured dish or recipe. I take that extra step to show you just how much I care.

And so I certainly hope that you won't think my affections for you have waned when you discover that I have no witty, arresting, or amusing anecdote to accompany this soup. No musings about my childhood, major life milestones, gut-wrenching confessions, or elegant epiphanies lie ahead. I am not about to shamefully confess that as a young girl I had a shocking hatred of peas, and that somehow this recipe turned me around, changing my life forever.

It's just soup. That is all.


But I am happy to report that, if I do say so myself, it's an eminently slurpable one. The secret? Sweet fresh peas and pungent garlic tahini sauce.  That, and the yogurt, fresh tarragon, and crispy tofu croutons. And I don't want to hear a word about how you don't like tofu. I'll scarf down on sausage and bacon as much as the next gal, but tofu has its place as well. Like, for example, plopped on top of this luscious little soup.

Here's what to do: First, squeeze the water out of a brick of extra firm tofu and cut into cubes. Marinate in olive oil, paprika, salt, and pepper.

Next make the garlic tahini sauce. This is just a classic Middle Eastern tarator sauce: 6 cloves of garlic, mashed with salt with a mortar and pestle, combined with an emulsification of 1/2 cup tahini, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 3-4 tbsp water, and 1 heaping tbsp of chopped parsley. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a soup pot, saute one small diced onion in olive oil until translucent. Add one pound of fresh peas (you can substitute frozen only if absolutely necessary) and cover, plus an additional two inches, with vegetable or chicken broth. Simmer until tender.  Puree with an immersion blender. Temper one cup of Greek yogurt with the hot soup and combine. Lower the heat and add one heaping tablespoon of fresh chopped tarragon and the zest of one lemon.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Now fry the tofu in a high smoke point oil until crispy. The soup can be served hot or at room temperature, garnished with a teaspoon of the garlic sauce swirled into the soup and topped with the tofu croutons.

Perfection! See? Not everything needs a story. I now let the soup speak for itself:





26 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious and such a beautiful presentation, love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, great job in presentation, I just love how you put things together, the color in here is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa!! This sounds fantastic! Perfect way to beat the summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks so fresh, light and so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man, I bet this is amazing with the fresh peas! Great photos, too, Trix~

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is quite perfect and speaks volumes by itself, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the soup looks great and thanks for finding my blog and for the lovely comment you left me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that you won't think my affections for you have waned when you discover that I have no witty, arresting, or amusing thought to accompany this comment. No musings about my childhood, major life milestones, gut-wrenching confessions, or silly double entendres to contribute with regards to your soup. I love peas and the spoon looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking pea soup. Loving those croutons! Thanks for sharing and for swinging by Deep Dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This soup is fabulous liked that paprika spiced croutons .I am in for dig in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Trix, your soup looks like a pea lovers delight and I can see how it made a convert out of you. I think the crispy tofu makes a lovely crouton scattered lovingly on top. Your soup stands or rests in the bowl on it's own, no story needed;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tofu in creamy pea soup? Kind of fusion isn't it? LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great - you had me at the title :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post cracked me up! Well, I personally LOVE tofu, so you won't hear a peep out of me! Except perhaps "YUM!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Trixie Girl! I saw the word "tofu" and had to stop in! I am very much a "tofu disliker"--which, as a vegan, could earn me all kinds of bad mojo! You've done the tofu pround here and I am going to give this recipe a big YES in my faves tab! I hope all is going well with you and thank you for your note!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness, Trixibelle... I've always loved peas and tofu but have never eaten them together, ever. This soup is the perfect marriage of my favorite two ingredients (after chocolate), and those spicy tofu croutons are truly inspirational! Why can't I think like you and be more creative with my savory dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the tahini sauce garnish! This sounds like it would make an amazing cold soup to foil the summer heat...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Slurpable, I like that :) What a delightful delicious soup and love, love these croutons!
    Hope you have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I would love to pick up that spoon and gobble up all that goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh so many fun flavor brought together here. Looks really good. But 6 cloves or garlic? Not a first date soup lol. Really like the fried tofu too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Trix
    I am impressed by how you used a traditional tarator and placed it in a place it has never gone before: Good for you, the medley of flavors sounds exciting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hehe, I have those recipes and post too. Your soup looks so delicious! I only like fresh peas but will tolerate frozen, canned disgust me. So I'm really loving your recipe. Will have to try it very soon.

    Happy blogoversary! Cheers to many more:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, what a great soup idea - I'm loving this flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am reading the opening of your post, and I feel as if I have written it:) I love your writing, your stories, reminiscing, and all the witty commentaries, but I really do not mind a post without a story. So it absolves me, too, as I hope that my readers would not mind if I skipped a story or two every few months:) After all, the blog needs to be versatile, and we need to change the rhythm, right? Right?
    Anyway, I love the idea of this soup, even the tofu croutons. But I am really confused with the term "tarator", as it seems to mean different things in different countries, even though I am convinced that the etymology is the same. In Serbia, "tarator" = "tzatziki". My grandmother made this awesome summer salad made with roasted vegetables that she called "tarator" salad (green peppers, eggplant, onions, green tomatoes, garlic - heaven!). So I am really curious, as I like to use the correct terms (professional deformity, what can I say:)
    I will make this soup, tofu and all. Thanks for the great recipe, even if there was no story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was hungry so I came back to look at this soup. I could lick my screen.

    ReplyDelete