Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chilled Three Pepper Soup with Yogurt, Lime, Cilantro, & Tortilla Strips for the 5 Star Makeover Chilled Soup Challenge

I cannot tell a lie: I was not thrilled when I found out the theme of this month's Five Star Makeover Challenge, hosted as ever by the lovely and talented Natasha of Five Star Foodie and Lazaro of Lazaro Cooks!. Chilled soups. If you'll pardon the expresion, I have never really warmed to them.

Oh, they're fine for a few bites. But I always think that with just a few tweaks, even the best of them would be better as something else. Fruity chilled soup? That would make a lovely smoothie. Gazpacho? Great as a Bloody Mary base. Cold vegetable soup? Just right for a dip or sauce.

But they don't call these things challenges for nothing, and so I put on my thinking cap and decided to make something using the hot and tart flavors I have been obsessed with lately. I came up with this 'three pepper soup," a blend of roasted jalapeno, Poblano, and sweet green peppers with yogurt, garlic, cilantro, and lots of fresh lime juice. Poppa Trix, who does not share my feelings about cold soups, declared it a success. I had mine in a tall shot glasses, just the right serving size for me. That said, cold soup lovers could certainly not go wrong with a small bowl of the stuff:
The recipe makes far more peppers than you'll need to serve two (in cup bowls), but they keep in the fridge for a few days so you can whip up more batches to order.

Chilled Three Pepper Soup

5 jalapenos
1 large Poblano pepper
1 large sweet green pepper
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 cup Greek yogurt (or more, to taste)
large handful of fresh cilantro
juice of one lime
2-3 corn tortillas, cut into strips
oil for frying
salt, to taste

Roast the peppers until charred over the flame of a gas burner or under the broiler. When cool, remove the skins, leaving a bit of skin for flavor. Remove seeds and veins, and chop coarsely. Place, along with the garlic, in a saucepan and just cover with water (about one cup). Simmer until tender. Cool and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Take roughly 1/2 - 3/4 cup of peppers (make sure to have a blend of all 3 types), 1/3 cup the broth (or more, depending onhow spicy you want your soup), along with the yogurt, cilantro, and lime juice, and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Add salt to taste. Add more yogurt if needed for thickness. Refrigerate. Meanwhile, fry the tortilla strips in 1/2 inch oil until golden and drain on paper towels. Serve soup garnished with the tortilla strips. 

I may be a chilled soup curmudgeon, but I did love the flavors in this, and the tortilla strips gave the creamy tart soup a nice crunch. I just think it would be better as a dip. 

Make sure to check out the round up on Friday over at Five Star Foodie. I suspect that the fabulous creations will change even my mind about chilled soups! Until then, stay cool. 





25 comments:

  1. i'm with you, i tend to enjoy cold soup in smaller portions, but this sounds wonderful!! way to meet the challenge, and surpass :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, smaller is definitely better for me too! I like the idea of using a tall shot glass -- they would be the perfect way to start a summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This packs a lot of flavor and heat...Lovely presentation and I really like the shot pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a huge fan of chilled soups either; however, this one is outstanding. Peppers, yogurt... oh my. This certainly has its place in the yummy parade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of chilled soups either but this looks amazing. I would probably use it as salad dressing as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha...I liked your alternate interpretations/uses for chilled soups. But, for someone who hasn't 'warmed' to chilled soups, this is a winner! I like the flavor profile and love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, what did cold soup every do to you ;-) I am glad you challenged it up and the shot glass service is perfect for you, lots of kick here! Thanks for you last comment on my blogiversary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a fan of chilled soups either but this looks amazing.

    Leave it to you to find a way to add heat to a cold soup! Just what they need if you ask me. Heat. And the shooter is an inspired idea. What usually tastes great on first taste has me wanting to pour it in a potted plant by the third taste. Beautiful photo as well!

    Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks absolutely terrific, so great with the three peppers you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMM shots of soup, I love that way to eat them. I've had it that way at a few fancy-schmancy parties and loved it.

    I do agree with you about the challenge, I like the idea that it pushes me off my cosy little perch and makes me think. What this post did was make me think about a cold soup that I love but haven't made in ages. I thought DrLostPast would hate it... but he loved it, go figure.

    Having a pepper soup is a great idea. Looking at the ingredients, it's actually light and good for you too. Since gazpacho was pretty much the only cold soup I made, this challenge has expanded my horizons and now added many more. KUDOS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you admit to warming up to cold soups. The photos prove your passion! GREG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love every ingredient here. Hot or cold, it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sensational photos. Very enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Trixie,

    I would have to agree with your feelings about cold soups. Though I always do admire peoples recipes for them. I don't think I have to tell you that I love the flavors you choose:) You did a great job with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful photos! Love the idea of a green pepper soup chilled with poblano and jalapeƱos, my favorites! Now on to the next challenge: finding these peppers in Lebanon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos are gorgeous! I have to admit to loving cold soups so your soup looks wonderful to me and creamy tart with a crunch sounds even better;-) I like the idea of serving a tray of these sweet little cold soups with the tortilla strips as an appetizer for an outdoor dinner party on a hot Summer night;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. For someone who had not quite "warmed" up to chilled soups, I think what you've come up with is really great! Also, fantastic photography!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We both thought of charred poblanos, I think that smokiness really makes a chilled soup, well, cool. Definitely think tortilla strips add to the soup, as well as the fabulous photography. Love the shot glass presentation as well. Kudos on a super-successful execution of something you were not exactly excited about..
    LL
    So, your Greek dish is a secret too, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Trixie, I've never had cold soups in my life so I can't compare everyone's beautiful creations to anything in my limited culinary experience. But let me tell you this, if I had your three pepper soup as an initiation into cold soups, I know I'd be hooked for life! Can't wait what you'll be producing as your meze, I know you'll absolutely kill it (in a good way)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Trix, I wasn't thrilled either! I'm not a big fan of cold soup. Your soup sounds really great, tho! Serving in a shot glass is brilliant. Just the right amount as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You pulled it off. Love the peppers with the yogurt. A flavor combo I would enjoy. Creative touch with the tortilla strips.

    Trix, you never fail to come through.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delightful job with this Trix, although I generally enjoy chilled soups. I am loving your amazing flavor profile with this soup, and your presentation is lovely!
    Whishing you a happy and safe 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How beautiful! I think SF is too cool to have a cold soup so I never eager to have one; however if I was still living in Japan... probably it is much more appealing for sure in hot summer there. I love your beautiful soup. Tortilla strips are so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I share your feelings about chilled soup, but as a shot with a peppery kick and a little crunchy tortilla strip - I could definitely warm up to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like smaller portions, too, but this right here I could have in a big main course size. All of the components are just what I like. And the presentation is so appropriate for your tastes (no pun intended). Reminds me of a warm soup I had in Mexico a few years ago. Great work on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete