Monday, March 28, 2011

"Fish & Chips" Makeover: Framboise Lambic Poached Sockeye Salmon, Buttermilk Celeriac, & Minted Mushy Pea Croquettes with Garlic Yogurt Dipping Sauce

Thanks to the miracle of modern technology, you're reading this post while I'm off traipsing around Eastern Europe. This is the first of three posts that I've set to go up while I'm gone ... I guess blogging really is a sickness. 

For the March 5 Star Makeover challenge - hosted as always by the talented team of Natasha of 5 Star Foodie and Lazaro of Lazaro Cooks! -  we were tasked with transforming a classical preparation of fish into something new and fresh, using sustainable seafood.  Easy peasy, and extra fun.  I knew right away I wanted to play with fish and chips - a dish that doesn't always go the sustainable route when it comes to the fish. Plus, I wanted to keep the basic flavor components of the dish that I love, but put it all back together in a surprising - and much less greasy, carby, and fattening - way. 

So, I took the classic buttermilk beer batter and separated it, poaching the Alaskan sockeye salmon (Marine Stewardship Council approved) in a Belgian raspberry beer, or framboise lambic, and cooking my celeriac with buttermilk, which I then pureed. Mushy peas are my must-have side for fish and chips, and since my dish needed some crunch, I made minted mushy pea croquettes with a garlic yogurt dipping sauce. Yes, they're fried, but since the only carbs are in the cream cracker crust, it's not so bad.  Right?

In order to focus on the fish in this dish,  I'm going to give the recipe for the croquettes in a post later this week. As a teaser, I'll give you a sneak peak at how pretty and green they are on the inside:
Holy yum!
As for the fish and the celeriac, it's pure simplicity, and, as with most things, depends on the quality of your ingredients.  Because the fish cooks so quickly, make the celeriac puree ahead and keep it warm. Peel and dice 2 large celery roots. If you aren't going to use them right away, put them in a water and vinegar mixture. To cook, boil in salted water until tender. Drain and pat dry. Next, saute them in 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup buttermilk and lower the heat. Mash by hand and add just enough buttermilk to be able to puree with an immersion bender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, set the oven to warm. For the fish, I used two 1/2-pound fresh wild caught Alaskan salmon fillets - skin on. In a sauteuse, combine 2 cups Belgian framboise lambic, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water, 5 juniper berries, a handful of fresh basil, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and lower to a gentle simmer. Add the salmon fillets and cover until they are just cooked - you'll know they're done when you start to see the little white bits of fat showing on the surface of the flesh. When they're finished, remove from the liquid, cover with foil, and keep them warm in the oven. Turn up the heat on the poaching liquid and cook until reduced by over half. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle over the salmon to serve.Garnish with chiffonade of basil.

I love this dish because I get to enjoy the flavors of one of my favorite (fattening) dishes with almost no guilt. Just look at that juicy fish:
Thanks to Natasha and Lazaro for another fab challenge - I can't wait to see what everyone else made when I get back.  But don't let that stop you! The duo will post the round up on Friday, don't miss it:





21 comments:

  1. Hope you are having fun! Lambic is a new curiosity of mine - what a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a makeover! This looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful - just tweeted and dugged it too... hey, trying to do my part while you are away....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not just a makeover... a rebirth! Looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear about your trip and all the culinary inspiration! I adore the dish from which this was inspired but I allow it of myself just once a year when I go to the UK for work. I leave my guilt at home however.

    You are so dedicated to your bloggership. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome, this more delicious than fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a terrific makeover of "fish & chips"! The flavors of the salmon must be fantastic with poaching in the Belgian raspberry beer. And I love the idea of crunchy minted pea croquettes to pair with the salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooove lambic!! Gotta try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where are you in Eastern Europe? Let me know if you visit Bulgaria!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Hope you are having a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive.

    Magnificent fish & chips makeover. This is inspired cooking. I love the thought process that went into this dish.

    A virtual tip of the Touque Blanche to you for elevating food to another level.

    Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! Must be nice, vacationing, multi tasking while your away and you made my favorite salmon! You shouldnt have but glad you did! Hope your having the time of your life again! miss ya! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are having a wonderful time and will have lots of foodie tales to report when you get back. Fun twist on fish and chips!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this re-interpretation of fish n chips! Especially the pea croquettes! Like a nutritious pea-flavored hush puppy! And I love the idea of poaching the salmon in something fruit-flavored. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am obsessed with that raspberry lambic--such a great idea to poach the salmon in it! This is a totally smart revamp of fish and chips. You obviously put a lot of thought into it and it definitely payed off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so creative. I love beer battered fish and am intrigued by the fact that you instead changed up the method to make the beer the poaching liquid instead of a batter ingredient. Very fun. I love that it adds an air of elegance and the raspberry lambic I imagine would be a great choice since sweet fruit goes so well with salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poaching salmon in raspberry beer, whoa, so creative. I want a fruit forward pinot noir to go with this fish. Great addition to the cooking club!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I love how you come to making your dish! The pea croquettes are intriguing b/c I hate them! But i'm going to check out the post on those cute little buttons and see what they're all about....

    Nice to have been a part of this month's round up, too! Enjoy your travels.
    B-

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy yum is right! Would have to agree that minted mushy peas are a critical part of the fish and chips experience - love the idea of making them into croquettes, definitely a must-try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so clean, healthy and I love celeriac. Hope you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your dish here, especially the croquettes! The color looks amazing and it looks so delicious. The salmon looks like it's cooked to the perfect tenderness as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete