Friday, January 7, 2011

Paris Mushroom Soup for French Fridays with Dorie

Even though I don't believe in making resolutions, I did make a New Year's decision to join in on the fun over at French Fridays with Dorie, inspired in part (and I believe unbeknownst to her!) by the indefatigable Mardi of Eat Live Travel Write. Each Friday, members of the group post a predetermined dish from the fan-tabulous Dorie Greenspan book Around My French Table.  I know, I know - as if I don't have enough to do ... but something about the discipline of the project (not to mention the recipes) really appeals to me. It's so easy to get caught up always trying to create that "new now next" recipe, that cooking from an actual book - not a blog, not a Web site - feels quite comforting and almost old fashioned. Of course, we'll see how well I keep this up once culinary school starts back up, but my intentions are good!

To be honest, at first I wasn't super thrilled about this recipe. For some obstinate reason or other,  I always think I don't like mushrooms, but then as soon as I eat them in, say, a yummy soup or salad or sauce I change my mind. Well, I'm pretty sure that the Paris mushroom soup (pages 72-73 in the book)  has cured me of my phobia once and for all.

It also reminds me how simplicity in a dish is so often the very best way to go. Butter, onions, herbs, dry white wine - why clutter it up? My favorite part of the soup is the way it's served over a "salad" of raw mushrooms, scallions, and herbs, as it is at the Paris bistro Les Papilles:


The crunchy raw vegetables give the soup great texture - I didn't even feel the need for crusty bread, though I certainly wouldn't have turned it down.

If you want to cook along, you can join here - you don't have to participate every Friday, but you will need to buy the book, as the group doesn't publish the recipes online.  If all the dishes are as good as this one, I'm in for a pretty tasty year.





35 comments:

  1. Trix it's fantastic that you are joining in and I am glad that I was inspiration - in part... Your mushroom soup looks lovely (it's hard to take a nice photo of brown food, right?) but you did a great job. We were not feeling great so I just made the soup, not the salad, but I will definitely try it soon! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushroooms can be tricky like that...sneak up and POW, yummy! Beautiful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you've joined this amazing group! I was a little disappointed with this recipe to at first glance, then I made it, ate it, and wanted another bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Trix! Now you made me want to make this. I just bought the book last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting twist on the soup being crunchy a new one for me...to try, so whening you coming to Florida?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you joined the group. It is a fun one. Great site and what a nice post. I'm looking forward to getting to know you over the year. B:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, never would have thought of putting raw ingredients in a mushroom soup... it is usually soooo cooked! This sounds like a fun group... can't wait to see what you get up to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have picked this book up a dozen times only to put it back down because of the vegan translations I'd have to make (although I am pretty used to that by now!). I love Dorie and saw her baking on the Martha Stewart show last month from this cookbook. I am so tempted to give this a shot--get the book, cook along and give it my "vegan" best. This mushroom recipe looks delish! (Okay, now I may be heading to Borders this afternoon!) My husband thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I love the earthy flavor of mushroom, but I can see where someone might have an aversion to them. This soup looks delicious, and I can see where it would be a cure all for mushroom issues (smile)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really called it right. Heaven can be in the simplicity a classic provides. Welcome to the group. I'll be back!
    Trevor Sis. Boom. .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the fun! Your pictures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this.

    I know. You + Me = Move to Paris?

    K. Good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to FFwD! Don't you just love the meaty taste of the cooked mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a G-R-E-A-T mushroom recipe..... have a nice weekend...xoxoxoxo, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  15. well, I'm pretty darn thrilled that you made it, it looks yummy, sounds interesting and your pics are just perfect....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to FFWD! We have so much fun cooking together. Your photos are really lovely and you managed to make a fairly difficult to photograph soup look fan-tabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are beautifully composed - welcome to the group!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely! Your photos made this soup so much more tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to this fun group and wow! Such pretty photos! Glad to see you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I see the stylish soups in your neck of the woods and I am salivating. Love that version of mushroom soup, I need to be reminded to make it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning photos and the soup looks awesome. Mushroom soup just warms my soul and it is easy to make. Congrats on joining the new project!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny that you've decided to do FFwD, as I was also tempted to join in but wasn't sure if I can keep up the commitment. In any case, I haven't bought my own copy of the book yet, so that will be the first thing. Btw, you have to give me your mailing address so I can send you the cookbook giveaway pronto. Penny@Jeroxie was suggesting that the 3 of us cook something out of that book as she has a copy too! Lol, are you up to it?
    Btw, your version of the soup looks heavenly, and the raw ingredients just lighten up the whole dish. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This soup looks wonderfully delicious and I like the idea of raw mushrooms...beautiful photos as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the group - I am excited to cook the book. @Emily: When are we leaving? @Foodiva: Count me in with you and Penny, sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pictures are fantastic! Welcome to the group!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree, the salad was perfect! Totally negated the need for crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So love the idea of the soup poured over the raw veg. Reminds me of Asian namely vietnamese soups. This sounds so thrilling and delicious! Hmmm will have to bookmark, try and give it a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've read such great things about Dorie's event and cookbook, sounds like one that I have to buy. The soup looks and sounds so delicious, I'm a mushroom fan:)
    ( I'm glad you enjoyed the tea and I love the changes you made, extra warming, hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing pictures and great presentation! I've only done one FFwD recipe so far myself (potato & leek soup) but I'm hoping to do more this year!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This soup is following me around the internet. I think it's a sign. Either that, or Dorie Greenspan is stalking me...

    Will you be lamingtoning this year? I have prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful pictures! Love the thick soup with mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The mushroom soup sounds wonderfully delicious and I love your addition of crunchy raw vegetables, excellent contrast in textures!

    ReplyDelete