Friday, June 8, 2012

Sriracha Crab Ravigote over Fried Green Tomatoes

In classical French cuisine, a sauce ravigote is a slightly acidic sauce served hot or cold, generally with delicate meats or fish. Not surprisingly, it's a rather different animal in traditional New Orleans cuisine, though it does retain the spirit of the original. Usually served cold with crab meat, typical ingredients of the NOLA version include lemon juice, capers, shallots, mayonnaise, and hot sauce.

The word ravigote comes from the French ravigoter, meaning to invigorate, and the sriracha, cayenne pepper, and paprika in my version of crab ravigote will certainly wake up the old tastebuds. The spicy sauce and sweet crab are just the thing to pair with the tart acidity of a crunchy fried green tomato - especially with a bit of Creole seasoning in the batter.

A word about crab meat: I love jumbo lump as much as the next gal, but as it turns out, the mania for it is not doing the domestic crab population any favors - after all, it takes a lot of crabs to get a pound of jumbo lump. So I decided to go with back fin meat from local Maryland blue crab. And it was every bit as sweet as the jumbo lump. Even better - it was a whole lot cheaper. So consider that the next time you get a craving for a crab cake.

Okay, okay: wake up, people! I am finished with the lesson for today. On to the yummies ...

Sriracha Crab Ravigote

1/3 cup mayo, preferably homemade or a good quality store brand
juice of half a lemon
1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 shallot, minced
1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 sweet yellow or orange pepper, chopped
generous squeeze of sriracha 
pinch of Cayenne pepper
pinch of sweet paprika
salt and white pepper, to taste
chopped parsley, for garnish
1 pound domestic back fin crab meat - preferably Maryland or Gulf crab 

Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce first and adjust seasonings to taste. Slowly and gently fold into the crab until just combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. 

Fried Green Tomatoes
2 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 cup AP flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup fine cornmeal with a generous pinch of salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning

Dip the tomato slices into the flour, then egg, then cornmeal. Fry in canola oil over high heat until crisp, about 3 - 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately with the crab portioned on top, garnished with parsley.

I hope it goes without saying that I had more than just this one ... 







16 comments:

  1. yay first one to comment. Adore crab, have it rarely. Love a way of saving on it. I was visiting friends in Virginia a while back and we went to a restaurant specialized in Maryland crab, it was awesome. This is a lovely way of serving it on the fried green tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer meats of a less delicate variety so that is perhaps why I have had such little experience with ravigote. I have had experience with various crabs, however, and let me tell you that this here variety would have been much nicer to deal with. At least I didn't have to pay for it but if and when I do (that day may come, I'm getting older) I will certainly keep your purchase tips in mind. I do love a bargain when it comes to such things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crab anything I will follow you anywhere...omg drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that fried green tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at fried green tomato :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bold and creative pairings always invigorate me. Thanks GREG

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm eyeballing the green tomatoes in my garden and I don't think they're feeling very safe!
    Your fried green tomato dish looks delicious;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos and recipe have me seriously considering buying the $50 can of Russian king crab I saw last week. Unfortunately that's the only type of crab available here. But this recipe may just be the way to eat it. Love, love, love this Trixie! A very well deserved top 9 recipe, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds incredibly good. I love crab. Too bad you just made me feel guilty about eating it… ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE crab, and your photos make this look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This belongs in a 5-star restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got me straight away on the crab. The you added the spices and creaminess and that's it, I'm hooked. I have to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love everything there. I wish I can have that for lunch now! It looks really delicious....mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh this sounds wonderful. I love all the flavors in this blended with the crab then placed with a refreshing juicy tomato. A perfect marriage and stunning photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous. You had me at sriracha, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trix this looks and sounds amazing...can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete