Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Bon Voyage Cocktail: So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodnight!


I realize that this cocktail evokes visions of remote island getaways, surf and sand, and lazy afternoons spent basking in the sun. But the truth is, I'm not much of a beach holiday kind of girl. (Not that I would turn down a free trip!)  I've made this lovely electric blue drink to toast a different sort of trip:  Poppa Trix and I are off to Vienna for two pastry-filled weeks, with a side trip to Budapest. We plan to look at tons of art, visit more palaces than you can shake a stick at, and of course - eat!

Not even the looming British Airways strike and the possibility of being stuck at Heathrow with sweaty hordes of stranded travelers for who-knows-how-long on the return leg can ruin our excitement. (Well, it almost did, but I'll spare you the details of the many nervous breakdowns and panic attacks that have been going on lately at Casa de Trix.) Bottom line - we need to get away, and we need it bad.

And of course I'll be blogging about it all. How could I not? Just check out this crazy banner that Poppa Trix made for my Vienna dispatches:
 Maria Von Trix at your service.

So, back to this drink. It's modeled on the Commander's Palace Martini, or at least I thought it was until I opened up my copy of In the Land of Cocktails to check out the recipe and realized I didn't have half of the ingredients. So I improvised. It's the perfect drink to put you in a holiday state of mind!

The Bon Voyage Martini
1 lemon wedge
2 ounces vodka
1 ounce blue curacao
1/2 ounce dry vermouth
2 T superfine sugar
lemon twist for garnish (optional)

Wet the rim of a martini glass with the lemon wedge. Put the sugar in a shallow dish and dip the rim of the glass to lightly cover. Squeeze the lemon wedge into an ice-filled martini shaker. Combine all the remaining ingredients, including the lemon wedge, in the shaker, give it a good shake, and strain into the glass. Prost!

As well as offering up a fine toast, this drink is serving another purpose: I'm entering it in the "Wear Your Food" contest at KO Rasoi. Sanjana has come up with a fun and clever competition:  Create a food or drink recipe inspired by one of the charms on an adorable charm bracelet she found, and then ... win the bracelet. You can read more about it (and see the prize)  here

A million thanks again to Mother-in-Law-Trix for allowing us the use of her apartment in Vienna. Without that, we would never be able to afford this much-needed getaway.  I am now off to pack and study for my midterm(!) and write overly-detailed notes for the pet sitter and a million other things. See you in Vienna! 





30 comments:

  1. Love it, Trix! I hope you have a bang up time in Vienna eating all those pastries. A friend drooled over a restaurant UNA... don't know if it's still there! Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I think of Vienna, I think of Art Buchwald's piece on Tremmel Pastry shop in Vienna; no matter how many times I read it, I always chuckle when I reread it. (I got this out of a book called "I chose Caviar" by Art Buchwald. In case you don't know who he is he was a famous columnist for the Herald Tribune and the Washington Post and lived in Paris 14 years and wrote a hilarious column every day on the Parisians and all the Europeans of the "high society".
    So, enjoy the pastries in Vienna, can't wait to read about it in your blog!
    Also, re: the freekeh, it is green and has a smoky flavor, strong, it is smoked after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend, Have fun! Write often, send postcards, stay away from anyhing your grandmother wouldn't eat! Can't wait to see what kinds of trouble you'll be getting into!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great trip! Enjoy some goulash for me! Next time... swing by Bulgaria and say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a blast! This drink, while "girly", looks relaxing and makes a perfect "getaway" drink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...I love that cartoon of you :D Have a great trip! Be back with lots and lost of interesting things to tell us! Love that drink, Trix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, now I have that song stuck in my head! ;-) Second, have a fabulous time! You'll be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the well wishes!
    @lostpast - oooh, i will see if that place is still around, thanks for the tip.
    @TasteofBeirut - I do indeed know Buchwald, but not that particular piece. I will have to check it out!
    @casey - most definitely!
    @kelly - considering that my grandmother is a club-sandwich-with-coffee sort of person, I ONLY eat what she doesn't eat!
    @wicked noodle - you won't need to miss me, my dear - addicted blogger that I am I intend to post at least a couple of times from vienna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. enjoy your trip! and that drink sounds amazing! according to the husband, though, im not allowed blue drinks - bad things happen when i drink them! i may have to sneak one in since i have all the ingredients except the blue curacuo:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trixie...nice drink and thanks for the link to Sanjana :)

    have a great great time at the old world..and let it charm you all the way back here :)

    so long..bon vyoage

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Poppa Trix, you are the clever one, I am still chuckling - that is so fun ... so why the blue drink as the send off? - cannot wait to hear of your travels, I know you will make even the worst of times enjoyable, (hope you two will have none of that) as I always enjoy your writings...have a few shots of schnapps or at least a verlangerter for me...wishing the best to you two

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I bet you had a BALL realizing you could justifiably use that title in actual context! lol. Have an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you have a wondeful time and are able to create all kinds of great posts in Vienna. No need for you to forget us just because you're on a vacation with him... Thanks for sharing the cocktail recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, Austria is my dream country to visit since... I can't remember. Have fun and I'm sure you will. Love the banner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Bon Voyage cocktail & hope you have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear all about it:) That banner is adorable as well - safe travels!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely thought of islands when I saw this drink but a trip to Vienna sounds much more fun! Have a great trip and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bon voyage, have fun! I want to hear about all the food and drinks specialties, not sure you'll find a prettier cocktail than yours, it is definitely the color of heaven. I think I need one just like that tonight! What a sexy apron :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hills are alive ... Have a safe, happy, wonderful trip. Enjoy yourselves and come back with more food for our eyes. Bottoms up, Trix!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you both the best and happiest times of your life, love the drink, be safe....can't wait to see the wonderful pictures you will share and posts.....cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a wonderful vacation! I can't wait to be sipping a cocktail on my vacation :) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. btw when you get back I have something for you
    http://pegasuslegend-whatscookin.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous drink, I love the blue color! Have a fabulous trip, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a great time lovely! Looking forward to reading all about your journey :)
    And I LOVE THE design!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh wow so happy for you, have loads of fun I know you will love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. Vienna is a wonderful city. Make sure you go to see the Lipazzaner stallions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazingly beautiful cocktail. I want one. Maybe not now, as it's not even ten am, but soon.

    Lovely photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello, may I ask what camera you use? Your pictures turn out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's awesome, it reminds me of the Blue Martini night club in Miami, Florida, where the most popular drink is the Bon Voyage Cocktail, love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete